Sweet, sweet summertime will soon be upon us. Here are our top things to do in the summer in Southwestern PA, and we are here to get you started. Whether you are looking for an outdoor activity, a festival or event, or a place to sit back and enjoy a drink at a local spot, we know that our little corner of the world is the casual luxury getaway you have been looking for. There is so much around our beloved Hartzell House that we cannot wait to share with you. We hope you take time this summer to join us during one of our favorite seasons of life. Start planning; book now.
Engage in Outdoor Recreation
When the temperature rises, and the snow begins to melt, we love to get back out and enjoy nature through our favorite recreational activities. While we love partaking in winter sports, summer in Pennsylvania is something special.
There are many ways to get outside this summer, but we always recommend taking a day to check out our local hiking and biking trails. Between the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) Trail running right through southern Pennsylvania, multiple national forests, and other local-favorite spots, there is truly a trail adventure waiting for everyone. Make sure to stop and look around while on these trails for a chance to see some stunning native bird species!
Summertime calls for water sports! Check out a few of our favorite places around Hartzell House to boat, tube, and more. One of the most popular spots is Yough Lake Marina, a boat dock along our beloved Youghiogheny River. Just a short drive away, take time to check out Riversport, Funtime Water Sports, or the Aquatic Center for canoeing, kayaking, water sports rentals, and more.
Attend Festivals & Events
Say hello to warmer weather and festival season! This summer, our small town, and surrounding towns come to life with many events and activities to attend.
- Check out the Pennsylvania Maple Festival for a taste of history and a fun, activity-packed day. Oh, and it has super flexible dates that range from April 22 to April 30. Check out their website to view the list of events for each day.
- Starting on May 27 and providing dates through September, check out the Springs, PA Farmers’ Market for fresh produce, antiques, crafts, and flea market items.
- Next, enjoy music, wine, and local vendors at the Spirit of the River: Ohiopyle Wine and Arts Festival on May 13 to support the town of Ohiopyle, PA.
- Are you looking for a fun activity with your partner or even your whole family? Check out the Spring Festival on May 21 for a tour of three museums, a walking trail, kids planting activities, baked goods, environmental education, and fun for the entire family.
- The Three Rivers Arts Festival is a free event in Pittsburgh that features over 400+ artists and musicians over ten days starting on June 2! Have fun in the city before retreating to our comfortable, casual, and luxurious bed and breakfast.
Sip and Savor Wineries & Breweries
Wineries and breweries have that special summer feel we are so excited about. Look at this short, sweet, and simplified sip list of southwestern PA that we have curated! Enjoy some of our favorite sips of summer.
Must-Visit Wineries and Breweries:
- Ridge Runner Distillery — Take a sip of their historic whiskey rebellion-age beverages this summer. Featuring grape-based liquors, wines, and brews, this distillery offers a sophisticated, old-school vibe. Plus, the distillery is right across the street from their Christian Klay Winery — another must-see stop.
- Tall Pines Distillery — Take a trip to the first legal moonshine distillery in the county! Using real ingredients and natural flavors, Tall Pines is a grains-to-glass distillery that offers a unique and personalized moonshine drink.
- Charis Winery and Distillery — The winery of Maryland. Take a day to go to a wine tasting here. With multiple different grapes grown and a specialty list of natural flavors, there is definitely a wine for everyone.
- Vin de Matrix Winery – Did someone say wine flights? Their wines for “down-to-earth” people are almost guaranteed to make for a perfect afternoon. They look forward to seeing you on the mountain and sharing a taste of the night sky.
- Glades Pike Winery — Visit this original family-run winery for a taste of home in their delicious wines. Plus, stay tuned for some of their fabulous summertime events!
- Green Dance Winery — Their “dance with the sun and the earth” has created a stunning list of fresh fruits that they used to create an innovative, high-level list of some exquisite wines. Locally owned and oh-so-delicious, this is the perfect way to experience the summer culture of the area.
- Mountain State Brewery & Taproom — On a day trip out to West Virginia? Check out one of the oldest distributing distilleries and taprooms in the area. This brother-born brewery is a testament to history, curiosity, and passion.
Can you taste summertime already? We sure can. Our list of the top things to do in the summer in Southwestern PA is just a glimpse into what our area provides. Come for a visit! Spend the day exploring and return to our inn for a relaxing, comfortable night’s stay. You’ll experience casual luxury in our well-appointed rooms. Wake to a delicious breakfast and head out on another adventurous day. Summer is a special time: take a few days to treat yourself to a getaway!